Pages

Adas Polow (Lentil Rice)

Anybody that knows me must know that I don't like beans in foods unless it is a dessert. I will collect each beans found and put on side of my plate. I am not sure lentil fall in beans group or not, but I still don't eat it. Bff who likes to eat baked beans always wonder of my habits. But, when it come to Persian foods, beans play a vital role. They like to add beans in their recipes. Chickpeas, mung beans, black eyed beans, red beans etc. So, I have to slowly learn to like beans. Last time I've tried mung beans rice and now I tried lentil rice. By the way, the taste is not bad =_=


Ingredients:
~ 1 cup lentils
~ 2 cups rice - soaked with salt for 3 hrs
~ 1 large onion, chopped
~ saffron liquid
~ 1 tspn turmeric
~ 1/3 tspn ground cinnamon
~ 1 large potato, sliced
~ oil

Methods:
~ Boil lentils for 20 minutes or until soft, drained
~ Boil rice until al dante with some oil, drained
~ In a pot heat oil, saute onion until translucent, add turmeric and cinnamon
~ Add lentils and rice with a pinch of salt, mix together, take out the mixture from pot
~ Because I want to have tahdig with potato, place the sliced potato on the bottom of pan with some oil
~ Put in back the rice mixture, pour saffron liquid on top
~ When steam come out, lower heat, close lid with towel and cook for another 40 minutes

I serve the rice with tomato and onion salad & honey baked chicken wings


0 comments:

Post a Comment