Pages

Kalam Polow - Cabbage Rice

`


I love to try all Persian foods, how it taste, from North to South. Unfortunately normal Iranian restaurants do not serve it. The common restaurant menu are kababs, khoresh like gheymeh, ghormeh sabzi, khoresh bademjoon. Only if I go to Iranian house "maybe" I can taste other kind of foods (but no one invited me, -,-). So, last choice is to cook it by myself. Like this time, I saw kalam polow at mypersiankitchen and i give it a try by cooking it myself. I obediently follow the recipe and I can surely confirm it is the taste of kalam polow :-) haha. Maybe next time I have to ask any Shirazi to taste it because what I know this recipe originated from Shiraz. Anyways..here is the recipe I get from mypersiankitchen. 



Ingredients
1 1/2 cups rice
3 cups of shredded cabbage
1 onion
ground beef
1 tsp turmeric
1 cups fresh parsley
1 cups fresh cilantro
1 cups chives
1 cups Persian basil
2 tbsp dry dill
1 tsp cumin powder
salt & pepper
oil
Methods:
~ First grate onion and add to ground beef. Season with salt and pepper and make small meatballs.
~ Pan fry the meatballs. 
~ Add a bit of oil to a pan and saute cabbage until cooked. Season with salt and pepper and add turmeric. 
~ Chop herbs. Season with salt and mix together.
~ Par boil rice
~ Once your rice has been parboiled built layers in a non-stick pot by adding 2 tablespoons of canola oil and 2 tablespoons of water. Shake pot to mix them together and add a thin layer of rice. Then add a 1/3 of herbs and 1/3 of cabbage. Cover with another layer of rice.
~ Repeat layering with herbs but this time add all of the meatballs and then the cabbage on top. Do one more layer of rice, herbs, and cabbage. Finish off with a layer of white rice. With the back of a spatula make 5 holes in the rice making sure not to touch the bottom of the pot.
~ Cover and cook rice on high for 10 minutes.  Mix 1 tablespoon of oil with 2 tablespoons of water and pour over rice. 
I served kalam polow with sibzamini sorkh karde and tomato salad

0 comments:

Post a Comment